At Loc’d Life Magazine, we firmly believe that moisture is the key to loc health, loc growth and overall well being. No matter how often you wash your locs, keep the roots maintained or whatever method you choose to start them, they will be dry and can lead to breakage if you don’t moisturize them. (Guys, this goes for you too. Moisturizing is not just a “girly” thing—you’ll have a straw-like mess on your head if you don’t moisturize!) If your locs are color treated, or you plan to swim a lot this summer, moisture (and a chlorine removal product) is essential. Here are the top moisturizers for your locs.
- Shea Butter. Hands down, this is nature’s best moisturizer. With so many companies realizing this, your options are as wide as ever. You can twist your roots with it, apply it to your scalp if it gets dry, and smooth it through your locs if you feel any dryness. If the pure form seems a little heavy for you or is hard to come by, try products with it as its first or second ingredient. The SheaMoisture line offers products based in shea butter. We like the Organic Raw Shea Butter Moisture Retention Shampoo, the Raw Shea Butter Restorative Conditioner as a leave-in and the Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment Masque as a deep conditioner.
- Argan Oil. Argan Oil is the next big thing in hair products today. This native of Morocco’s argan tree has the right amount of essential fatty acids to leave hair and skin beautifully soft. In its purest form, you can use the oil as a hot oil treatment after shampooing. Apply to hair and leave on with a plastic cap. (The amount of time depends on you, around 15-30 minutes.) Rinse out, and your hair will be softer. If you’re looking for products with argan oil, try the Organix Renewing Argan Oil Hair line of products. (Whoopi Goldberg, our loc’d sister, was seen scooping up all the bottles on set during a recent segment on The View. She must know its secret!)
- Oils. Essential Oils are good ways to keep your locs moisturized between shampoos or after shampooing as a hot oil treatment. Our locs shine and thrive with the right amount of oil applied. See our oil primer on www.locdlife.com for more on what oils and what combinations are right for you. (Scroll down on the content bar until you see the story!)
- Conditioning Mists. These are also powerful moisturizers between shampoos. They work by spraying directly in the air over your head and allowing the mist to fall and penetrate each loc. Allow your locs to fully air dry. One to try: HealthyLocks Daily Conditioning Mist or the extra strength formula, HealthyLocks Ultimate Dry-Conditioning Formula for color treated locs or severely dry locs.
- Water. Don’t forget, our bodies need water to stay running and to stay moisturized. In our interview with Natethephatbarber, he himself noticed a difference in the feel of his locs once he started drinking more water. (Even I fall short on this one!). The correct amount: eight, 8-ounce glasses a day. To help with this, you can drink three “large gulp” cups a day, or carry around a water bottle to remind you. Get a fun one to inspire you even more. One to try: Sigg water bottles made from leach-free, environmentally-friendly materials. There’s even an iPhone app to help keep track of your water intake. Visit mysigg.com for their full line and the app.