A leave-in conditioner can help in set the curly crown of Ledisi’s signature updo. (Find out how to do this look yourself in our new story post on www.locdlife.com)
With summer’s heat and more active lifestyles, wash and go locs are more important than ever. You’ll look for quicker ways to get through your routine. You may opt to let your locs air dry instead of sitting under a hooded dryer. Leave-in conditioners are a good way to keep dryness at bay between shampoos, and they are an after-shampoo conditioning option that’s fast and effective.
For one, leave-in conditioners are lighter. For finer textures and when you don’t want to weigh your locs down, leave-in mists are great. They save time. They can also double as a setting lotion. Finally, they contain water, which is vital for moisture. The essential oils we use just seal in the moisture that’s put back each time we shampoo and condition. It’s the water in the conditioner that moisturizes.
Our hair is 3% moisture and 97% a protein called keratin. Hormonal changes, adverse health, stress, medications, harsh chemicals in our hair products, harsh environments, infections and poor diets all contribute to our hair’s overall health. These affect our locs’ moisture levels, their strength and their growth rate. When our locs lack necessary vitamins and minerals, we can help put these back in with leave-in conditioners with natural ingredients.
Again, using only leave-in conditioners is great for the summer. Winter, however, requires much stronger conditioning efforts—like hot oil treatments and restorative deep conditioners—as dry, cold air can suck the life and moisture out of our locs.
So the big question: which one is right for you? Loc’d Life scoured the ‘Net to see what options are out there. Here’s a roundup of some of the more popular choices. And by all means, drop us a note on why you like a particular product or tell us about one we missed!
1. Jane Carter Solution Revitalizing Leave-In Conditioner seals in vital panthenol and humectants and acts as a protective barrier against heat styling and sun damage. Use it daily as a re-hydrator. Mist your hair in the morning and evening, and it’s great for roller setting. www.janecartersolution.com
2. Carol’s Daughter Tui Leave-In Conditioner Spray in to wet or dry hair anytime as a styling and conditioning aid. Leave in hair and style as usual. Light enough for daily use. www.carolsdaughter.com
3. Twists ‘n Locs Natural Original Leave-in Conditioner This light weight conditioner instantly softens, repairs and strengthens your natural hair. Organic conditioners such as vitamin E, keratin protein and olive oil locks moisture into the hair shaft leaving locs silky and with sheen. Also recommended as a daily treatment on dry locs. www.hairwigbeautysupply.com
4. Treasured Locks Herbal Leave-In Conditioner is loaded with herbs that stimulate hair growth, strengthen hair, fight dandruff and provide sheen. It also helps restore health to thinning areas. Moisturizes hair and scalp, and helps strengthen thinning locs. www.treasuredlocks.com/trloleheco.html
5. Nubian Kinks Liquid Hair Vitamin is a light and refreshing leave in conditioner for locs. It can be used in between washes to replenish and add moisture to your locs. Stimulating ingredients such as Nettle, Sage, Horsetail, Pro V B5, Shea Butter and Aloe Vera moisturize and revitalize dry locs. www.nubiankinksproducts.com
(For a summer style tip, go to www.locdlife.com to see how to create singer Ledisi’s show-stopping locstyle. Her signature updo is a great for beating the heat!)